Saturday, October 01, 2005

Working Moms Need Respect, Too

I work overtime. When I say overtime, I'm talking over 80 hours a week. I get up at a 4:45am everyday, work out, get ready for work, sit in front of a computer for 8 hours designing stuff that I am ashamed to put in my portfolio, pick up my daughter from daycare, come home and clean my house, feed my dog, feed my kid (my husband is forced to fend for himself), play with my daughter for an hour or two, watch an hour of TV, then collapse into bed. EVERY SINGLE DAY. And I wonder, how do single mothers survive? Add the guilt trip of being a working mom (EVERYONE has an opinion about that one), and the fact that you're missing out on so many precious moments, and it's enough to send any mother into a downward spiral of post-partem depression.

My point? Tolerance & understanding. Take a moment to step into our shoes before you judge. Don't rub it in my face that you get to stay home with your little angel & imply that I'm a horrible mother because I don't. Do I want to leave my daughter with perfect strangers while I'm toiling away at creating crap that I would rather bury in my backyard? Of course not. But it's helping me get to a place where I CAN spend more time with her. And that makes everyone happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home