Thursday, December 15, 2005

Chivalry is NOT Dead, Just On Vacation

A response from a previous post got me thinking about chivalry in our society today. Men seem to be caught in a politically correct quandry. Basically, if you do practice good manners, you're considered old-fashioned. You probably still live at home with your Mom, drive a Ford pick-up truck, talk softly and labor with your hands. If you don't, you're a high-powered arrogant ass who has no regard for women or an ignorant redneck from the sticks whose mom lives in a trailer. What's a poor guy to do? What the hell do women expect from you, anyway?

In the case of my husband, chivalry prevailed, sort of. On our second date, he opened all the doors for me (and still does to this day, most of the time). I was impressed by a telephone conversation he had with his mother, very polite, very caring. When I appeared cold, he adjusted the air conditioning in his truck (Ford) without me having to utter a single word.

And when he took a sip out of his water bottle, he spit on me.

Not like hocking a loogy or anything, more like a cherub in a fountain. Spit water directly at me. I was in shock. Here's this guy, only the second time he's seen me in his life, who had opened the door and complimented me, talked with his mother and was acutely aware of my comfort factor, only to complete the destroy the whole illusion by spitting on me.

I figured, "What the hell?" and stuck around to see where it went from there. I figured any guy with the cahones to spit on a girl he barely knew as a means of impressing her might have a new perspective on life that I hadn't thought of. And what do you know? I married him....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know, we never grow out of puberty. Guys always tease and taunt girls we like. I elbowed my now wife in the ribs during prayer at church. If she had not elbowed back, history would have to have been re-written!

He liked you and how he really treats a lady is how he treats his mother.

~Jef

10:22 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Be thankful of what he could have done, such as the old "dutch oven."

2:41 PM  
Blogger Ben O. said...

Congrats on the whole marrying him thing. I guess chivalry really isn't dead.

Ben O.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home