Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Traffic Vultures

On my way home yesterday, I was detained in some hellish traffic on a side road. As I got closer to the flashy lights, I expected to see a ten car pile-up; all that was there was a broken Civic and THREE tow trucks.

I'm not real good at math, (that's why I became an artist), but I'm pretty sure it doesn't take three trucks to tow a tiny little Honda. But there they were, side-by-side-by-side, blocking the turning lane and causing traffic to back up all the way to I-45. That's when I got mad.

I've seen them before, in the strip mall parking lots, congregated together in little flocks, just waiting for some poor, unsuspecting motorist to screw up. God help you if you're in their way when the call comes; I've almost been flattened more times than I can count in their hurry to get out of the parking lot. Circling, circling, waiting to devour the remains of some busted compact car or wounded SUV. Completely oblivious to the flow of traffic (or lack of) that surrounds them.

I watched with growing agitation as they stood by, waiting for the poor unsuspecting motorist to finish her cell phone conversation. Do they argue over who gets to peck first? Do they quote prices in a little pecking war?

Do they HAVE to block the damn turning lane???

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Try dealing with them on an accident scene when they bitch and moan to the police officer working it about who was first, whose chip didn't get pulled, etc. etc. Worse than children. I watched one time as two wreckers got into an argument, in a busy intersection, during a crash. The police had two wreckers selected to move the cars and clear the crash, but these two pushed their way and one moved the others truck and he retaliated by locking the other's truck. Then they tell the officer they are moving the crashed cars. The officer told them to leave, and one said he couldn't leave because he was locked out. The officer took out his baton and told him he better find a spare key or he was going to 'unlock' his truck for him. I was soooooooooooo proud of that officer. The wrecker got back in his truck and left.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home