Thursday, January 05, 2006

New Years Resolution Envy

I hate New Years resolutions, simply because once a year, every year, I'm reminded that I'm a huge failure at something. So then I have to make an effort to get better, and usually sometime around mid-March I start to slack, and somewhere around June I've forgotten totally until next year, where the vicious cycle begins all over.

But even worse than that, is when others feel the need to tell you what their resolutions are, and then you realize, "Damn, I don't do that either," and it, too becomes part of the yearly cycle of failures.

My neighbor told me, "I resolve to lose weight (check), yell at my kids less (um, not me YET), and floss every single day (damn, me too!)" So now flossing becomes a temporary obsession, so much so that I have to go out IMMEDIATELY and buy one of those flossers with a handle and a six month supply of refills. Considering I already have a problem getting to work on time, I don't think my boss will be any more sympathetic when I smile sheepishly and offer, "But I had to floss for five minutes... oral hygeine is very important to me..."

In which I am sure the reply would be something like, "Then perhaps you should think about LESS Starbucks!"

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

If you want to try the hygiene excuse with your boss, try not brushing nor flossing and breathe in his/her face as you say how important it is to you. They will see the light.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home