Friday, October 14, 2005

Corporate Coffee Whore

I sold out. I am ashamed to admit it, but I gave in to temptation.

There was once a graphic designer who decided to poke fun at a corporate coffee giant by altering their logo and creating a satirical graphic novel about said nameless corporate coffee conglomerate. Now, you would think this company, who is largely supported by the artsy designer types, would not take itself so seriously and appreciate that this designer decided to poke fun at them. After all, the designer was a devoted customer. Most of us are. Coffee and the graphic artist are in inseparable pair, a symbiotic relationship that was born shortly after the conception of the first laptop.

The corporate coffee giant swiftly hit the tiny designer with a copyright lawsuit. It seams that this company is EXTREMELY protective of their logo. So much so, that they would stop at no lengths to crush the tiny designer, despite his years of loyal patronage. I was extremely offended. Without us, their sales would likely plummet! After all, it is the uber-trendy, dark-haired, pale-skinned, bespectacled cappaccino-sipping designer that fueled the great Western coffee rush of the 90's. How dare they bite the hand that so lovingly fed their corporate greed for years?

I joined the anti-corporate coffee movement. I sought my fix in the tiny coffee shops of New Orleans, choosing to donate to the needy instead of feeding the evil giant. A virtual Robin Hood of coffee I became, proud to stand up for what I believed in. But then...it began to happen.

The giant proceeded with it's plan for global domination, and everywhere I looked, on every corner, there stood another store, it's warm earthtones and exotic smells beckoning to me at every turn. Until one day, guilty, I sneaked in the front door and broke my internal vow. Hypocrite. Sell Out. Weak-minded turncoat. Treason.

But it was the best white chocolate mocha ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home