Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Grief

A close friend of the family had a personal crisis recently, and it got me thinking about my life.

I have never known grief. I've been sad, I've been pretty down & out occasionally, but even when I hit my all-time personal low, I still did not know grief. I've never had anyone close to me die, and I'm not quite sure what will happen when I do.

It brings me back to emphasize something I wrote in an earlier post. My reaction to many things in my life is one of removed indifference. Almost like I'm watching from the outside. So I wonder, when someone close to me goes, will I finally feel a depth of emotion that has previously eluded me?

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie K said...

Amusing blog!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Everyone's reaction is different. The only way to know is to actually experience it for yourself which, unfortunately, will come with time. When I lost my first relative I think I handled myself pretty well until the funeral when I saw my family cry. Then, being the wise ass I am, I just blurted out "this is why they call them funerals and not mardi gras!" A defense mechanism which works, kinda.

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home