Sunday, November 06, 2005

My Weekend is Ruined

My weekend is over on Sunday mornings, because that's when the dread sets in. Every Sunday, when I wake up, I wake up with the knowledge that it is Sunday, which means...

Tomorrow is Monday.

I've so come to dread going to work on Monday that it has begun to creep into my weekend. In the past, when this dread began to surface, I would start looking for another job. But I know now that it will not be enough anymore. I've been so spoiled at my present job, that there is absolutely no way I'd be happier somewhere else.

It's not a case of the grass is greener on the other side anymore; everywhere I look, the grass is dead.

What do you do when you're uninspired? What do you do when you've hit the plateau? When you can't go any further in your profession? I've peaked. Yellow page ads will never be any more creative. Customers will never change. Sales representatives will always be manipulative and selfish. I've peaked, and the only way to go now is down. It's time to work for myself.

I might as well jump. I suppose the thrill of hitting bottom will be better served by a base jump than rolling slowly back down the mountain, right? Maybe I'll get lucky and find a bungee cord...

1 Comments:

Blogger salcam said...

JUMP. Life is too short to hate every day.

If it works, then you're ahead. If it tanks, then you can do something else. There will be jobs to be had if you must go back to working for someone else.

Make sure you've got some savings to fall back on, just in case. Then tell everyone you know and send out a mailer to every person you can think of - you never know where work will come from. Personally call every client you have worked with in the past and let them know about your plans. This is your big marketing opportunity!

Register with the Creative Group and get on online portfolio up. Contact your school and find out if they have a referral department, or if they work with Alumni on referrals. Do pro-bono work when you can, make sure to get a credit line (your name in exchange for the work).

Check out the Art Director's club here in town (adch.org), and also the HAF.org website - jobs crop up on both from time to time. Also check out commarts.com.

Oh, and remember - Dec. and Jan. are the slowest months in the industry; make your plans accordingly.

GOOD LUCK!!!

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home