Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Amendment to Yesterday's Post

I feel the need, as a woman often does, to change my mind about yesterday's post. I do NOT need Prozac, or Zoloft, or Lithium. What I need is to stop taking things so personally.

One of the first comments my husband made when I first moved in was that he didn't like a cluttered house. It was an offhand remark, without much thought behind it, more of a passing observation, if you will. So, in an effort to make my new husband happy, I tried to keep the house decluttered.

As time passed, we would visit other people's homes and he would comment on how nice & uncluttered their homes were. Of course, I took this extremely personally.

"What the hell? Why do I bother cleaning up after you? If you didn't leave a trail, blah, blah, blah, blah...." And so goes the inner tirade, which I try to keep to myself because I, too, am messy and I never wanted to be a nagging wife. You know, one of THOSE wives. Occasionally it slips out, and I see his eyes glaze over in typical male-I'm-not-listening-anymore fashion. So I keep it quiet.

It does pay off, I think, in the long run. My husband thinks he has a cool wife (at least, that's what he tells me), even though he has a messy house. And a messy house never killed anyone, at least, not that I know of yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home