Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Hypocylpse

I overheard a couple of my co-workers talking today, and I had to smile..

"Did you hear about the wildfires in North Texas? And what about the earthquakes in Afganistan? Between those, the tornados and the hurricanes, I think it might be the apocylpse..."

"I know, it's like God's trying to shake the bad people off the earth... all those Muslims have to pay for not praising Jesus..." (because we all know that the Midwest is overrun with Muslims, especially northern Texas)

"Well, our pastor said last Sunday that it was the time to repent and pray for all those people over there. He didn't say that the end was coming or anything, but he did say that these were signs from God." (And some would say it's the effects of global warming, but who am I to argue with God?)

"I think it's a good thing, personally. All those people crammed into that small space, they were probably miserable anyway."

And the same thing could be said about New York. It amazes me how much we take for granted.

3 Comments:

Blogger salcam said...

"God's trying to shake the BAD PEOPLE off the earth"? Like all the hundreds of young school children who were crushed to death when their schools collapsed on then? THOSE "bad people"?

Holy cow. And they call themselves Christian?

I think my brain just fell out of my head.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was actually off to bed when I read this. I had to comment. I used to be one of those two people talking.

I'm still an active member of my church, but much more introspective than evangelical. And a lot less arrogant about being right.

I still believe God has to send someone to hell and the line has to be drawn, but all this pop-religion is just about to kill me. I'm not sure a lot of preacher boys in big churches can relate to the masses who really need the love of Christ. It saddens me.

Global warming? I guess no one remembers the dustbowl in the 30's was a lot like the weather now. Or maybe the summers of 1980 or 1998 have been forgotten. Ya, global warming. We're in a dry hot spell. It will go away. Global warming would take thousands of years. How arrogant to think we have that much effect on the planet in such a short amount of time!

I heard about a retired police officer that did study natural disasters in relationship to government policy. If I recall he did link some - but not all - disasters to policies that went against basic biblical teaching. I wish I could locate him because it was pretty fascinating.

As for the co-workers, they need to step out of church for a while and step into the world and put their Christianity into practice. If the salt loses it's saltiness, what's the meat gonna say?

~Jef

6:57 PM  
Blogger Kristie said...

Thank you, Jef! If everyone practiced what they preached, wouldn't it be a much nicer world?

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home