Tuesday, January 17, 2006

DOOCED

I stumbled across another blog the other day that had me in tears. I was laughling so hard I thought I would pee on myself. The woman, an ex-web designer (already, I like her), was fired from her trendy LA job when she made work-related posts about her job. (Now I REALLY like her).

I cannot tell you how many times I've vented on this site, only to hit the erase button after feverishly typing for twenty minutes. There is always this FEAR that maybe, just maybe, the wrong person will stumble across it and you will pay dearly for stating your opinion in a public forum. Maybe my mother-in-law might take something the wrong way, maybe my father will get his feelings hurt. Maybe someone I work with has a personal vendetta against me that I don't know about (the copy of Photoshop on my laptop is licensed, I SWEAR). So while I was reading this woman's site, I realized these fears are rooted in good, old-fashioned common sense. It DOES happen. It's not fair, but it does. Do I have potential clients who don't use my services because I curse on my site? Should I censor myself?

Surely, work-related details have no business on the Web. That, I can agree with. But where should you draw the line on your opinions, especially when your blog is linked to your corporate site?

In my personal opinion, I don't particularly care if they don't agree. Right now, my income is not dependent on my freelance design. It's just a side project. Plus, if said person does not agree with my views & chooses not to use me simply because of that, well then, I don't think working with them would have been all that fun, anyway. So until I have to depend on the whims of perfect strangers, screw you! I'll say what I want.

:)

1 Comments:

Blogger salcam said...

I've self-edited several times because of clients. Not like they read my blog - or even know that it exists- but a large percentage of my clients are religious insitutions.

I guess it feels like if I put it in writing then they might suspect they have one of the "unchurched" among them. And for some reason I let this bother me - but it's more of a "I don't want to offend them" than a monetary issue.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home