Monday, January 16, 2006

Pet Peeve #39

I HATE it when someone talks over someone else. It drives me absolutely insane. It is beyond rude. But even worse than the rude over-talker, is the over-talker who starts over-talking and completely changes the subject, like you were never saying anything to begin with.

I have a neighbor who is basically a nice guy. He thinks he knows everything, which gets on some people's nerves, but me, I just see it as a cry from his low self-esteem. So I don't take it personally when he launches into an "I know more than you" tirade and tries to take control of the conversation. I do, however, draw the line when he starts talking like I was sitting quietly. I started to jump into a conversation, and he began talking. I sat there quietly fuming for a few moments, but I kept my cool, silently fighting the urge to thump him squarely on the back of the head. A few moments later, I saw an opportunity to point it out.

"Did you not realize I was saying something a moment ago?" I asked him quietly.

"What do you mean?" he said with a puzzled look on his face.

"I was speaking, and you began talking like I wasn't saying anything. You've done it quite a few times now. I just wanted to know if you found me that boring or if you were just being rude." He looked back at me with a surprised look on his face.

"Gosh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was doing that," he apologized. I somehow doubted that, but I decided to forgive and forget. It didn't happen again the rest of the evening.

Sometimes it pays to speak what's on your mind, as long as you wait your turn.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if he really knew he was doing it?

You can't come to my house. Sorry, I live with over-talkers. My in-laws are the same way. When I first met them 5 years ago, I was agast at how much they interupted people. My step-daughter is the absolute worst.

It's maddening. I learned to not talk at certain times and let it fly off my back. I appreciate my family more for their speaking skills now.

~Jef

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home