Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Resumay

I'm in a bind at work, and I need to hire a temporary artist. So I throw the posting up on a couple of job boards, and a few hours later, I'm buried under a pile of resumés.

Now, I know graphic designers are atrocious spellers. I, myself am a typing train wreck. However, my RESUMÉ is spotless. I let my engineer husband double-check it, and then run it through a rigorous spell-check. Then I stare at it for hours, trying to iron out all the horrible English faux-pas that I have aquired from years in advertising. (My high school English teacher would be apalled). Your resumé speaks volumes about your personality. Seeing as how I'm in the phone book industry, accuracy is not just a plus, it's a requirement.

So I'm looking at these things, and I weep for humanity. Here's a few tips for you Gen Y's who are currently job shopping:

1. Don't use big words that you're not familiar with. (Ex. "I enjoy many forms of art from painting to ceramics and have truly missed the pleaser that comes with creating new and exciting works of art be it on a canvas or a computer.)

2. Dust off the old English book on adjectives. (Ex. "I can utilize my creative ability and education to my fullest potential.")

3. Even though it's email, CAPITALIZE. (Ex. "please feel free to contact me at anytime.")

4. If you're interviewing for a Graphic Designer position, do NOT send this to me.... (Ex."I am proficient in the following software programs: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.")

I know I'm being harsh, but this is a CAREER. I made the choice to do this for a living, and it is truly insulting to me that people like this are getting jobs while I'm being passed over.

You can have all the talent in the world, but if you can't get your own information correct, how can I trust you to get my customer's stuff right?

2 Comments:

Blogger salcam said...

I don't get it. All of the software programs we use now have spellcheck. How hard is it to hit that one little key? HOW HARD CAN IT BE????

I have fired people for spelling errors. I can't afford designers who don't care enough to spell check.

Off my soapbox now, sorry for the rant!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

That's funny Chip...I was about to post the same style comment, based on the same study!

Now if we can all just figure out how to put that apostriphe over the e in resume so we are all talking about a piece of paper and not getting back into a particular action!

Goddess...I'd start asking for portfolios if I were you.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home