Thursday, February 09, 2006

Hormonal

I am an active woman. My schedule would be enough to send many women into fits of hysteria. It has often been commented by friends & family that I work too hard. So I thought nothing of the fact that lately, all I want to do is lay in my über-comfy bed with my warm flannel sheets and poofy goose-down comforter (Thank you, best hubby in the world!) and sleep indefinately. Obviously, I can't do that. There's fat on my ass to be worked off, there's a household to run, a baby to raise, and many, many phone books to be built. Not to mention the side projects that I handle to afford my ever-expanding technology habit.

But lately, it's just been getting harder and harder. I utter the phrase "I need a vacation" with every other breath I take. I find myself staring vacantly at my computer screen for longer periods of time. And the thought of getting up at 4:45am to exercise was starting to make me cry. After all, I'm not losing any more weight. I haven't had an Oreo in over 6 months, and all this deprivation was completely depressing when I wasn't seeing any results. So in a last ditch effort, I went to my doctor & asked to see a dietician. Maybe my diet was out of whack and I was inadvertently starving myself.

What she suggested is every woman's dream come true. My thyroid is SLOW. And when your thyroid is slow, YOU'RE slow. I've never been so happy in my life to be broken. Suddenly, even before drugs, I feel lighter. It's not me! (Well, it is me, but it's a part of me that I have no control over). Hypothyroidism strikes many women after bearing children, but many go undiagnosed because fatigue is a natural part of being a new parent. Thank God I have an astute doctor and a hormone prescription. Maybe now I can find the bright side of life again.

2 Comments:

Blogger salcam said...

Did they check your iron levels? Since having the boy I have iron issues and am back on a prenatal vitamin as a result. My husband did a double take when he first saw the bottle and asked if I had something to tell him...HA!

Anyway, I do feel better all ironed up. Hope you feel better soon, too!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

You mean to say women are hormonal? Oh my God! When did this happen? What can we do to stop it?

*just kidding as I duck for cover*

;-)

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home