Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Nightmare

My neighbor was driving my truck. I was rather appalled that she would treat it so carelessly, driving up and down the dam, getting mud all over it. She popped it into 4-wheel drive and climbed up the side of the dam, throwing a trail of mud all over the place and coming precariously close to the edge, straight up to the water. A last minute press of the gas pedal pushed the front of the truck over the dam, leaving us to balance like a see-saw.

I looked over at her with my eyes wide in fright, when she calmly stepped out of the truck. The second she did, the front of the truck took a nose dive straight into the murky green water. The water started rushing in at an alarming rate, so I reached for the window....power locks. The power was gone. I panicked, not thinking to simply pull the lock and try to force open the door. The water was coming in too fast, the front of the truck sinking nose first. I looked up through the back window to see my neighbor peering over, until her face became obscured by the green water.

I fumbled frantically with the seat belt, but I was running out of air. The panic was setting in. I was dying.

My eyes popped open, and I gasped for air. The only sound was the whirring of the ceiling fan overhead and the quiet white noise from the baby monitor. And I could not go back to sleep for anything, my mind racing. What if it happened in real life? What if Alex had been in the backseat, strapped into her carseat? What would I really do in a situation like that?

Do power door locks work when submerged?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

If you can't climb out the window before your truck sinks breath and take a deep breath because you have to wait until the water pressure inside equals the pressure outside before your doors will open. Also make sure you get your seat belt off before you go under as well. Get a small chip hammer designed to break windows and keep it in your car. It has a little razor blade for cutting seat belts.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Sass said...

we're on the same page, having high anxiety levels over nothing we can control.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Kristie said...

Ack, Sassy, I never thought of that.... but you're dead on with that one.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Chipperdamac. Get out the beer window. Shouldn't be too hard to pull down the gun rack and slide out. I think some beer cans even float.

~Jef

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home