Friday, February 24, 2006

Pet Peeve #164

I hate when you're in the middle of a conversation and all of a sudden the person you are speaking to holds up their hand (or worse, DOESN'T), pulls out their cell phone and starts having a conversation with someone else.

I HATE cell phones. 99% of the time I don't answer mine, which leads many people to bark at me in frustration, "Well, why do you have one then?" To which I must answer; Necessity. I have a daughter in daycare and if they need me for anything I want to know. Otherwise, I really don''t use it. I hate what they've done to society. They give people an inflated sense of self.

"Look at me! I'm important! Somebody somewhere wants to talk to me!"

Yes, that somebody would be standing directly in front of you RIGHT now, carrying on a conversation when you so RUDELY whip out your cell phone & give them the impression that what they are saying is second-rate compared to your phone call. That's why a large percentage of these phones have VOICE MAIL. Call your buddy back in fifteen minutes. Give me that respect. I earn it for putting up with RUDE people like you. I know that some calls are important; these are not the calls I'm referring to. Your daycare is calling. Your sick mother is calling. Your vet is calling; your dog died in surgery. All legitimate reasons to say "Excuse me for just a minute; I need to take this call." But don't put me on hold to ramble on with your buddy about what one of you did in a drunken fit last weekend, or talk about a shoe sale with your mother. It can WAIT for FIFTEEN minutes until we're done talking.

I think this is why my phone doesn't ever ring....

4 Comments:

Blogger Jaye Ramsey Sutter said...

I hate to be lecturing in my college classroom and have students whip out their phones and chat away!

Today I was giving instructions on their exam--the one right on top of their desks--and a young woman is chatting on her phone....

6:49 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

I know an easy to stop your students from talking on their phones during your lectures. Next time someone does that, stop your lecture and shout at them "hey bitch (works for men and women)! Hang up that phone!" See what effect that has.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

That's a wonderful post, you're right...hold on, my phone is ringing!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Kristie said...

Chipper,

I try that but you won't answer your phone....

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home