Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy VD

I have never had much luck with Valentine's Day. My first real boyfriend dumped me on VD. My second real boyfriend had to "go to work" early, so I was pretty surprised to find him on a date with another woman later that night (VD, of course). A string of other men, other VD disaapointments. Then came husband #1, who believed VD was a commercial holiday created by advertising executives to fuel the economy, so he refused to participate on principle (in other words, he was just a cheap bastard.) So I thought I was locked into a lifetime of hopeless VD's, but luckily for me, he screwed up bad enough to warrant a divorce, and I was given a second chance.

Enter husband #2. Not your standard romantic. His idea of courtship was spitting on me, so I didn't expect too much. He's not the soft, mushy romantic type; he rarely sends flowers. What he does do are the little things, the tiny things that really matter to me.

I have been sick, sick, sick for the past few days. Nothing I eat will stay down. My head is pounding. I'm laying on the sofa wishing for a swift death, when he walks in with a huge bouquet of beautiful roses & lillies, carrying our daughter on his hip. He bought chicken noodle soup for dinner. And I wanted to cry. He DOES think about things other than the Internet & cars.

So to you, my husband, on Valentine's Day, even though I'm sick as a dog and would rather die than get off the sofa, I want the world to know that you ARE a good husband. You're better than that. You're the GREATEST husband EVER.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow ... he's a good guy!

~Jef

6:07 AM  
Blogger Sass said...

That's really sweet.

Someday, I hope to be able to write something similar.

You are loved.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Glad you quickly cleared up the 'Happy VD' thing. My first thought was "hey, I've been good!"
Then I read the first line and went "ohhhh, my bad!"

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home